RE: OT--"obvious" writing

Subject: RE: OT--"obvious" writing
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:29:36 -0800

Mike said:

> I recently had trouble setting a time to discuss a
> software program with one of the programmers...
> he said, "I don't see why we need to document what is
> obvious already."
>
> Has anyone else on this list ever run into someone
> that arrogant?

HA! I once worked with a programmer who's picture was
next to the word "arrogant" in the dictionary! Of course,
I sent him into the CEO's office sputtering on more than
one occasion. ;-) He could not understand why anyone
would settle for being less than a programmer; and I
actually got him to admit once that God really screwed
up when he gave women brains.

He was bound and determined not to let me have any input
into the new product UI -- after I'd done UI design and
usability testing for several products at the company
already. He'd repeatedly call UI meetings "for developers
only" and ignored any advice I had to offer.

So the time came to take the new product out to a focus
group; he observed. One comment from a focus group
attendee (caught on tape yet!), "You could use some
help with that user interface. Why don't you get a
technical write to help? They're usually pretty good
at that."

I'm still gloating over that one!

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
-- Douglas Adams
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy