Re: When you really need to create a screen (WAS: Cursors! Foiled again.)

Subject: Re: When you really need to create a screen (WAS: Cursors! Foiled again.)
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 11:03:25 -0600

> "Giordano, Connie" wrote:
>
> > However, this, and other posts of the day do lead back around to one of my
> > pet concerns: Why do so many tech writers limit themselves to
> > after-the-design content issues?
>
> and Bruce Byfield wrote:
>
> Then why do so many writers limit themselves? Reluctantly, I've
> concluded that some people - maybe most - don't like facing
> challenges, and don't have much curiosity or imagination.

Here's another thought: not everyone is a Renaissance person. There's nothing
wrong with that. Some people write very well, but shouldn't be allowed to design
a user interface or to be involved in product design at all. Some people prefer
writing above all else and that's the reason they took jobs as technical writers
in the first place. Should we look down on these people because they're "just
writers"? A big issue on this list seems to be that others don't value what we
do; lets not further that attitude.

I used to be involved in the analysis, design, and testing phases of projects,
as well as writing documentation for them. I was good at all of these things.
These days I spend the vast majority of my time writing. I miss some of the
things I used to do, but I enjoy the writing end of it. I don't see myself as
less valuable because of it.

Donning my flameproof suit,

Jo

--