Can we end this thread? Was 28.8 Modem Users

Subject: Can we end this thread? Was 28.8 Modem Users
From: nancy <bcnarb -at- ma -dot- ultranet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:26:15 -0500

Good morning from rural New England,

I've been reading this thread and must confess that while my workplace
maintains a brand new "state of the art" custom computer, my home office
quietly houses an ancient system with one of those "dinosaur" 28.8 modems.
I feel the heat already.

I submit my two simple reasons why I live in the past.

1. Economics. I have a freshman in college with huge tuition payments and
my own education to pay off. (I haven't made a killing in the stock
market yet.)

2. Reality. My college freshman needed a decent computer for his studies
more than I needed a "faster" modem. I bought him a new CPU for $1500. I
opted for a simple upgrade of my old PC, at an economically realistic $250.

In one of my web design courses at Northeastern University last year, a
professor brought in some interesting statistics on web users. The stats
included both commonly used browser and modem types from a "broad
spectrumed" survey conducted around the United States. Yes, a good number
of folks just like me still have one of those obsolete 28.8 modems. And
there are those who sometimes must resort to using the tortoise paced
Netscape 4.7!

So before you all continue to "pooh, pooh" those of us with S-L-O-W modems,
just wait. Someday you may have to live with older technology for a while,
whether you want to or not. One CAN still produce quality work on an older
system. It just takes a bit more patience.

Now can we please move on?

Nancy