RE: Amusing terms

Subject: RE: Amusing terms
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:17:35 -0500

This is one my own, although others might have invented it independently:

Treknology--(fr. "Star Trek") A combination of a little science and a lot of
wishful thinking, usually dreamed up and promoted by people with limited
scientific and reasoning skills. Treknology *sounds* good, but it doesn't
stand up to more than a few seconds of rational thought, especially when you
consider the context.

Example from real life: "In the near future, we'll all live in ecologically
balanced environments ... "

(sounds good)

"... under huge plastic/glass/crystal domes ..."

(and here's where a little knowledge becomes a dangerous thing)

"... because there are people living in experimental biospheres already ..."

(and the conclusion)

"... so we don't NEED to worry about air pollution or the ozone layer!"

The key here is "near future." The individual in question tried to use this
idea to fend off criticism of his less than environmentally conscious
behaviour. I wonder if he plans to go outside of his dome to use his
CFC-aerosol hairspray.

Cheers ... Kim
kim -dot- roper -at- vitana -dot- com

"Apollo, the god of light, of reason, of proportion, harmony, number-Apollo
blinds those who press too close in worship. Don't look straight at the
sun. Go into a dark bar for a bit and have a beer with Dionysios, every now
and then."
-- Ursula K. Le Guin, Introduction to "The Left Hand of Darkness"

etc.