RE: work-related issues

Subject: RE: work-related issues
From: "Cook, Jenise" <jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:41:26 -0800

<Don Le Vie says:>
<snip>
You can't simply understand how something like that can affect you if you
haven't experienced it yourself. Read my previous post about a similar
incident (workplace shooting)
</snip>

<Jenise adds:>
When I was writing HR policy and procedures for a small financial
institution some years ago, I also assisted with HR processing. One
supervisor fired an employee I'll call Jane. While I processed Jane's final
paperwork, she took her anger out on me. She threatened me. She lived in the
same apartment complex as I, and she told me she had a gun.

The day her final paycheck arrived, I had to call her so she could come to
the office and pick it up. She threatened me, again. I had a no-nonsense
manager walk the check down to the 1st floor to meet Jane with it. I was too
frightened to do so. I felt afraid at work and at home. Thankfully, Jane
left it at that, and I never saw or heard from her again. I hope she found a
new job where she could blossom.

I'll never jest about workplace violence. You never, EVER know when it could
happen where you work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jenise Cook-Crabbe
Sr. Technical Writer
Pacific Life Insurance Co.
jenise -dot- cook-crabbe -at- pacificlife -dot- com
My opionions in this e-mail
are solely mine and not
my employer's.
"Year's end --
Still in straw hat
And sandals."
(Winter haiku, authored by Basho, Japan)

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.