RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??

Subject: RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:36:45 -0800

To be fair to your niece, I was reviewing a user manual for a cell phone - and discovered that it didn't tell you how to turn the phone on until page 18. It wasn't intuitive. I wrote a note to the writer.

Marilynne

At 10:38 AM 12/28/00 -0500, David Downing wrote:

<<So, how many of you endure your family's chuckles at holidays or birthdays
where "techie" gifts are given, and the manuals are untouched? Do family and
friends wonder why you do what you do for a living?>>

Actually, I had a very similar experience with my niece, who couldn't figure
out how to enter her name into her new cell phone. I kept suggesting she
read the manual*, and she kept saying she had, but the information wasn't
there. It didn't look like she had looked very hard.

*I wanted to use that acronym all of us tech. writers know and love, but it
was a Christian household and she's only 16, in any case.

Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM
marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
(858) 651-6664
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.