RE: technical documentation for software

Subject: RE: technical documentation for software
From: "Michael West" <mike -dot- west -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:39:39 +1100

SANDY BAKER writes:

> Does someone have advice about gathering and
> writing technical documentation for software?

Whoa.

You're not documenting "for software", you're
documenting software for people. You haven't
said which people. Are you responsible for
technical documentation of the code for developers
and testers? Or are you responsible for end-user
assistance material? Or both?

Their needs are different, so you need to handle
one task at a time.

The standard approach is first to define who your
audience is and what their needs are. If someone
is asking you to write a document that serves the
needs of both developers AND end-users, tell 'em
they're dreamin'.

When I need to create technical documentation
(as opposed to end-user assistance material), I
usually try to acquaint myself with the development
methodology in use by the client organization. A little
research usually turns up a listing of the types of
documents or specifications associated with a given
methodology. Then I try to find out who's supposed
to be using the results of my labors, and I ASK them
what they're expecting, what they're used to, and what
they like and don't like. Then I go from there, given the
time and resources available.

That should get you started.

--
Michael West
Technical Writer

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.