RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??

Subject: RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:56:01 -0500

Actually, maybe your car is different, but that pesky check engine light
usually (always, in my experience) reports on more engine conditions than
"bad gas." If the tech writer wrote "check engine light = bad gas," then I
expect they did not understand the subject matter. (OTOH, I remember the
first time I saw one of those check engine lights. Upon opening the hood, I
found the engine was still there . . . which confirmed I was not imagining
the purr of the motor ;?)

I wonder, do automotive manufacturers rely on tech writers to write owners'
manuals? I wonder what the technical expertise of those writers is, or
whether, like you and I, they are average car owners?

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.