Re: anyone else in the same boat? (Long)

Subject: Re: anyone else in the same boat? (Long)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 07:37:19 -0800 (PST)

Joan...

> There are days when I feel like a fraud, but then I say to myself
> "well, if you are, you're a pretty darned good one to survive
> this long". In the

I've been a tech writer for about almost 10 years, and I say to
anyone who listens, that one day, my clients are going to realize
that I'm full of s***, call my bluff, and realize that I'm pretty
much just making this up as I go along.

I've also said this at interviews...and been hired anyway. The
response from most people? "Aren't we all."

Just for the records, I also don't have a degree, one year of
college, and that also is on my resume.

Doesn't seem to matter. For all the posturing from those with
degrees, especialy advanced degrees, what I've seen is that the
client wants a job done. Having a degree doesn't mean it will get
done. Having an attitude that it will get done regardless of the
effort does mean it will get done. Seems, having a past history of
GETTING the job done seems to matter more, don't ask me why :-).

Develop a strong resume with the words that clients like to see
(responsible for, delivered on time, created from scratch, managed,
developed, saved money, increased turnaround, etc.) Develop a strong
portfolio with varied samples and also place that ataboy in the
portfolio. You'll do fine.

> more years, do you think that there's hope for someone like me
>(44, by the way) in this field?

I'm 47, so I hope so.

> a chance that I might find another position without a degree?

Yes...even if it asks for one in the requirements. I've never seen a
client turn down an opportunity to talk to someone with a past
history of quality results.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.