Re: Writers vs Editors

Subject: Re: Writers vs Editors
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- qwest -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:50:08 -0700

Andrew Plato wrote:

> Editing is a good way to learn about the topic and how to write. This is why
> editing positions are a great place for tech writers to begin their careers. I
> began my life as an editor. However, at some point I wanted to move on from
> editing other people's work to generating my own.

Okay, now I have a question. The way it's always been portrayed to me by
the Powers-That-Be, and based on job descriptions in ads, the (very)
generalized writing career progression goes like this:

Junior writer
Mid-level writer
Senior writer
Editor
Doc Team Manager

There could be other intermediary positions, but Editor was always a
very knowledgeable, senior person with lots of power, near the top of
the career path.

Under the general job descriptions that are available at Salary.com, an
editor:

"Writes, edits, proofreads, and copyedits a variety of documents.
Plans and prepares stories for dissemination. Requires a bachelor's
degree in a related area as well as 2-4 years of experience in the
field or in a related area."

A senior editor has 4+ years of experience.

So, the question is, how does this work at most companies? Are editors
more senior folks who perform functions like Brent Jones described
yesterday? Are they junior folks learning the ropes like Andrew
described and functioning more as copyeditors? Is editing more of a
function that could be "mashed" together with other responsibilities? Or
is it totally variable depending on the company?

Lisa Wright
Technical Writer
PeakEffects

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.