Re: Word 97 style questions

Subject: Re: Word 97 style questions
From: Chantel Brathwaite <cnbrath -at- cbel -dot- cit -dot- nih -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:40:54 -0500

"Brierley, Sean" wrote:

> Sorry to bother you on a tool-specific issue. Please answer off-list.

Chantel writes:

Hi Sean -- I hope that the day is finding you well. It is no bother --
tool-specific questions are a very important part of what makes this list
valuable. I'm going to answer you directly as well as on-list so that this
answer makes the archives. I can't comment on your first question because I
have been able to rename styles the way you mentioned, with no problem. I can
comment on the other two questions.

Question 2: (Summary: How to delete Heading n styles and retag heading
paragraphs with a customized "Head n" style?) Regarding your second question, I
echo the others by quoting the "Word 97 Bible" (by Brent Heslop and David
Angell): "Most of the styles that come with Word are avilable in all the
templates that come with Word.... You can create new styles and new templates as
needed, or just use the existing ones. Although you can redefine the formatting
for any of Word's built-in styles, you cannot delete them." The book then shows
a list of Word's built-in styles -- Heading n styles are included on the list.
You can create your own "Head n" style in the conventional way and tag your
paragraphs accordingly if you desire -- but you may want to think about whether
you really want to do this. Sometimes heading styles integrate pretty well with
some of Words other features. For example, if you want to run a TOC or generate
section specific page numbers or chapter-specific caption numbers, it is easier
if you use the built-in styles. I'm not saying that it can't be done with
customized heading styles, but it does require a little more work. Just
wanted to point out a few things, in case you weren't aware, before you proceed.

Question #3: (How to anchor floating graphics?) As for the third question,
there are several ways to remedy this problem, but one of the simplest is to
simply turn off the "Float over Text" option. Your graphics will be anchored to
the nearest (?) paragraph.

To turn off float when the graphics are already in the document:
1. Click the graphic and select Format > Picture from the main menu.
(Alternatively you can right click the graphic and select Format Picture or
Format Object from the menu that appears.) The Format Picture window appears.
2. Click the Position tab and uncheck "Float Over Text." Your graphics are now
anchored to a paragraph. You can now treat the graphic as you would any other
paragraph (apply a style etc.)

To turn off float when pasting/linking new graphics in a document:
When you paste or link new graphics in a document (using the Insert > Picture
menu item), you should be able to turn off the "Float Over Text" option when you
select the desired graphic from the Insert Picture dialog box.

One tip: I don't know if this will be helpful to you but thought I'd mention
it. Since I usually put captions in the paragraph after the graphic, I created
a "graphic" paragraph style that centers the graphic and invokes the "keep with
next" feature so that the graphic and caption stay together.

Have a happy holiday!

Chantel