How to click one link to simulate a click elsewhere

Subject: How to click one link to simulate a click elsewhere
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:07:06 -0600

While this question probably ought to go out to an HTML-type forum, I'll
rationalize that its a TW question since its for a web-based training
module.

I'm designing a page with three panes; one with text to explain what's going
on, one with an image of the interface the user learning (a keypad with
display) with clickable buttons, and a third pane with drop-down a menu
(made in JavaScript) that shows a graphic representation of the menus the
user must navigate by using the keypad.

I want the web page to work so that the user can click through the menus and
have the display on the keypad change as though they were punching the
keypad buttons. I think I can manage that part.

My problem is that I want the user to click the buttons on the keypad, and
have that action open the menu and highlight the appropriate button on the
menu, as though that part of the menu had been "mouseover'ed."

Anyone have a suggestion on how to manage this? How can I have a click (or
even a specified series of clicks) simulate a click or two on another part
of a web page?

Feel free to answer off-list.

David Berg