RE: Web Publication Rights

Subject: RE: Web Publication Rights
From: "Beth Weise Moeller" <beth -at- imediaconsult -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:51:12 -0500

I'm speaking as a web designer. One of my clients wanted to use a popular
historical photograph of the region that had been published many places. We
contacted the Historical Society and were told that print publication rights
were $100 per use. But, the web is a little different and they settled on
$150 to use it on my client's web site as long as the attribution was
prominently included and they approved the graphic before going online.
Therefore, we included the attribution in the graphic file itself and they
approved the graphic.

Another thing for you to look into is digital watermarking. We use Digimarc
(http://www.digimarc.com) and their spidering service for one of my other
clients. For under 100 images, you can get a free watermarking ID and the
spidering service costs $49 per year. They basically spider the web to see
where your images appear. You can then check to make sure that they are not
being "borrowed" by anyone else. While watermarking is not foolproof, it is
another step to help keep track of your images.

Whatever you do, spell everything out in writing--including terms of use,
making sure you are the attributed artist and right of approval before any
edited version go online.

Good luck.

Beth

Beth Weise Moeller, Owner