Re: Turning down an offer you can't refuse -thanks!

Subject: Re: Turning down an offer you can't refuse -thanks!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:56:10 -0800

I wish I could thank everyone who answered me individually. All were
thoughtful, and many took some trouble to reply. But, unfortunately,
I can only have time to reply individually to one or two who took
even more trouble than the rest, or who mentioned points that I
hadn't thought of or didn't hear from anyone else.

One of the reasons that anyone asks for advice is to receive
confirmation of their own thoughts and feelings. That's certainly
the case here. An overwhelming number of replies have definitely
confirmed my own inclinations: put family first, and don't do
anything you don't feel completely comfortable doing.

Of course, in my case, part of my reluctance is sheer superstition:
places where I take a full-time job have a bad habit of crashing and
burning shortly after I start. And contracting does have a certain
mystique. However, the idea of turning down the best offer I've ever
had - maybe even the best offer I can expect to have - seems
irrational, no matter how strong the reasons.

I think I know what I'll do, but I'm going to think very carefully
over the holidays. Meanwhile, my deep thanks to everyone who
commented. You've confirmed my sense of the issues, given me a lot
to think about and made me appreciate this list more than ever.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Last and most important question: Did Valerie have time to do the
chocolate coating?"
- S. Morgenstern, "Buttercup's Baby"