RE: Word formatting question

Subject: RE: Word formatting question
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:17:59 -0800

Others answered Ken's questions about autonumbering captions. But Ken also
wants to know:

> ALSO... how can I "link" the screenshot style/caption to the
> identifying text so that the caption and the text automatically
> change when
> new screenshots are later added?

I've been doing this by inserting a bookmark around the caption, as much as
you want displayed, and then inserting a cross-reference where you want the
correct item number.

Here's how:

1) In the Word options, on the View tab, select Bookmarks so you can see
exactly where each bookmark begins and ends. (Important for spacing issues).
2) Select your caption, without extraneous spaces.
3) On the Insert menu, click Bookmark, type a name for the bookmark, and
click Add.
4) Move to where you want the cross-reference.
5) On the Insert menu, click Cross-Reference. In the drop down lists, select
Bookmark, and Bookmark Text. Choose your bookmark in the list, and click OK.

Voila!

Note that these fields don't necessarily update automatically. To update all
the fields in your document, select the entire document and press F9. I
usually do this twice, because sometimes the TOC or other odd field codes
don't get the updated values the first time through.

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com