Re: Turning down an offer you can't refuse

Subject: Re: Turning down an offer you can't refuse
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:54:30 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> I have a very pleasant problem that I'd appreciate some advice on.
>
> ... I'm talking serious dream job here.
>
> ... I'm starting to receive friendly, but persistent pressure to move
> and be at the office full-time. The move would include very generous
> stock options and a major pay increase.
>
> ... family obligations make moving virtually impossible.

Can you look for some form of compromise? On a project I was on recently,
we had two developers living in other cities.

One lived in Montreal, 200 km (120 miles) away from the Ottawa-based
project, and spent a couple of days a week here. e.g. he'd get up early
on Thursday, drive a couple of hours, be in the office at 10, work late,
spend the night in a company-paid apartment near the office, and drive
home after work Friday. This worked really well; he was very much part
of the team, designing a key piece of the product.

The other was more junior, lived in Toronto (400 km away) and only came
in a few days a month. That also worked, but I suspect only because he
had his own little project to do and didn't need tight team interaction.

That company, at least, found renting an apartment near their office
well worth the cost. Apart from those developers, it accomodated
branch office staff visiting head office, consultants, ... Saved
them a mint in hotel charges.