RE: Wood eye? Wood eye? Tin ear! Tin ear!

Subject: RE: Wood eye? Wood eye? Tin ear! Tin ear!
From: Roy Jacobsen <rjacobse -at- GreatPlains -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:27:28 -0600

Ummm, can we clarify what y'all mean by "subvocalize"? In the previously
cited words of Inigo Montoya, "You keep using that word. I don't think it
means what you think it means."

I think that most people, unless they've taken speed-reading training, read
"out loud in their heads;" that is, they "hear" each word to themselves, but
the process is entirely mental. (In fact, most speed-reading training is
designed to break this habit.) The vocal apparatus is not involved.
Subvocalization is a different sort of beast. It is "the act or process of
inaudibly articulating speech with the speech organs."

Roy M. Jacobsen
Senior Editor
Great Plains
1701 38th Street Southwest
Fargo, ND 58103
USA

"Getting back down counts too." -- Sir Edmund Hillary (on climbing Mt.
Everest)