RE: Word formatting question

Subject: RE: Word formatting question
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:14:24 -0000

Ken Wasden is:
>working on a document that has multiple screenshots which are identified
>by using the Caption style under the screenshot... such as Figure 12. The
>screenshots are also identified in the text within parenthesis.. such as
>"...as shown below.(Figure 12)

Use the Field codes. (Use the Force, Luke!)

Example {STYLEREF 1 \s} - {SEQ Example \* ARABIC \s 1 } Procedure example

will, if this is the 7th example in Chapter 5, give you:

Example 5-7 Procedure example

You can also set up "Example" as a cross-reference and then insert (from the
list of Example cross-references) "Example 5-7" as a hyperlink. This process
is described quite adequately in Word Help - that's where I found out how to
do it.

When you insert new examples all the field codes and the hyperlinks will
change automatically. (Unless something has gone wrong with Word's
autonumbering, of course, as sometimes happens.... frequently.)

For further queries on Word, I suggest the Word-pc list:

mailto:word-pc-unsubscribe-request -at- liverpool -dot- ac -dot- uk to leave
mailto:word-pc-subscribe-request -at- liverpool -dot- ac -dot- uk to join
(no subject or command text required)

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/word-pc.html

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.