Re: Wood eye? Wood eye? Tin ear! Tin ear!

Subject: Re: Wood eye? Wood eye? Tin ear! Tin ear!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:57:57 -0800

Dick Margulis wrote:

> What I took away from this interview was that some people read with their eyes alone, and others listen to their subvocalization of the words on the page. I know, for example, that I do the latter, making me a much slower reader than someone in the former group.

I'm not sure whether "subvocalization" here means reading softly
aloud or minute, largely involuntary movements of the larnyx and the
muscles involved in speech. Either way, I've known writers - mostly,
but not entirely poets - who have developed an extremely strong
inner ear. So far as I can tell, their inner ears operate at about
the speed that they read.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"To conclude,I'll tell you news that's right:
Christmas was killed at Naseby fight,
Charity was slain at that same time,
Jack Tell-Troth, too, a friend of mine."
- Anonymous 17th Century, "The World Is Turned Upside Down"