Re: Pulling it slightly OT: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier (Mild Vent)

Subject: Re: Pulling it slightly OT: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier (Mild Vent)
From: Elizabeth Ross <beth -at- vcubed -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:37:22 -0500

On 12/18/00 12:40 PM, Sandy Harris wrote:

> There are three things we all want out of work:
>
> payoffs: money, options, perqs, respect, authority, ...
>
> self-respect: feeling you're doing good work, it's an important
> project, a useful product, socially responsible, ...
>
> reasonable load: not always 70-hour weeks, you won't die of
> stress-related illnesses, ...
>
> If you're really good at this, you can have any two of the above.
> No-one ever gets all three.

Oh my, I certainly hope your friend doesn't go into business as an
employment consultant.

I have all three, thank you. And I know a fair number of people who do as
well. I'm not pulling down the same buckage as Mr. Gates, but I most
certainly feel that the payoffs I receive are fair and equitable. My load is
reasonable and I am respected for my efforts by my manager and a number of
others. Plus, I get bonuses when I really pull out the stops and do the
mucho OT thing.

Listing "self-respect" is a red herring. If you are taking a job to earn
self-respect, then you are looking in the wrong place, IMO. Self-respect
starts with the self.

I think your friend took the "fast, cheap, good--pick two" adage from
project management and misapplied it. One may certainly settle for two out
of the three, but that does not mean that three of three is impossible.

My $.02 Cdn,
--
Elizabeth Ross
Senior Technical Writer, V3 Semiconductor Corp.