Re: Pulling it slightly OT: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier (Mild Vent)

Subject: Re: Pulling it slightly OT: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier (Mild Vent)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:14:23 -0800

edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

> "Carnall, Jane" wrote "providing you're clear about *why* you appear to be
> asking for a 40% pay rise."
>
> I'm not sure this is required. I NEVER discuss what I made at previous
> positions. It's none of the potential employers business what I was paid before.
> That way you don't have to justify either a pay raise or a drop. (Or scare off
> potential employers with sticker shock if your last contract was a lucky
> strike.)

This sounds like a basic rule of negotiation: just because someone
in authority asks doesn't mean that you have to give an answer. Once
you do, of course, you've set limits. So, before answering, you need
to consider whether you want to set limits, and if you want to set
those particular limits.

Simple, really. But I shake my head when I think of how long I took
to understand this fact. I always used to feel that I had to be
polite and answer. In fact, I probably suckered myself more than
once.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"To conclude,I'll tell you news that's right:
Christmas was killed at Naseby fight,
Charity was slain at that same time,
Jack Tell-Troth, too, a friend of mine."
- Anonymous 17th Century, "The World Is Turned Upside Down"