How users access Help?

Subject: How users access Help?
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:31:11 -0800

There has been a little traffic on varying methods of deploying CS help
lately, which brings me to an issue on which I've never found any definitive
research.

The question is, has anyone seen numbers on how users access help? I've
heard tons of opinions, but not seen any real research. How many users key
F1? How many users use "What's this" help? How many users first use the
index v. TOC, etc.

Now, before anybody whines about me speaking in windows only terms, I phrase
it that way, because for the time being, I work in the world of Windows. So
I will ask the question relative to MAC/Linux/solaris/Amiga/BeOS/VMS when I
go there, k. In fact, I love MAC/Linux/solaris/Amiga/BeOS/VMS and use it
every chance I get, I just don't work in that environment presently.

later,

Richard Smith