Choosing online help

Subject: Choosing online help
From: "Mark Osborne" <MOsborne -at- bna -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:36:35 -0500

Steve,

We are in similar boats except that my users are on a
Solaris platform. This means that I have to use a special
build of ForeHelp/ForeHTML 2100 called "InterHelp". I
downloaded the demo (5.0). My results from importing MIFs
were not spectacular. I found that each text frame from my
FrameMaker files created a separate page in ForeHelp. This
made it hard to use my source files that included graphics
with numerous labels in separate frame. I ended up just
saving my FrameMaker files as ASCII and reformatting them in
ForeHelp. I was just playing around with a very small file
so I didn't mind a little bit of extra work. There may be
better ways to use the MIF import feature. I didn't spend
much time trying to optimize this process.

I found ForeHelp easy to use, well-documented, and the
technical support excellent, especially considering that I
haven't even purchased the product yet. My two e-mails to
ForeFront, Inc.'s programmers have been answered quickly and
thoroughly. ForeHelp easily generates .jar files for
JavaHelp (which I'm also looking at) as well as the HTML for
InterHelp.

Good luck, and please let me know what you end up choosing.

Mark A. Osborne,
Bureau of National Affairs, Inc.
mosborne -at- bna -dot- com