Re: TW jobs-how to choose

Subject: Re: TW jobs-how to choose
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:09:47 -0800

"Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com> wrote:

>I would recommend the team approach for a new writer. I think the other option would put you in over your >head.

I think that this truism needs to be heavily qualified. For a new
writer, a team is safer. However, being on a team may also mean that
the new writer learns more slowly. Chances are, the new writer will
be slotted into some basic work, and keep at it much longer than a
lone writer would. Being a lone writer forces you to take on more
responsibility sooner and to learn more, especially if you are also
a contractor. The risk is greater than being part of a team, but so
are the rewards: a lone writer who survives will probably be ready
to manage others and take on more varied responsibilities long
before the team member is.

The real answer to this question depends on the person. If safety,
and slow but thorough learning appeals to you, then being a member
of a team is probably better for you. However, if you like a
challenge and the excitement of pushing yourself to the edges of
your abilities, then being a lone writer should likely be your
choice.

Personally, I've taken the lone path, and been happier and more
successful than I ever could have imagined. (OK, I think that O'Hare
is the best locale I've encountered for suffering existential angst,
and, travelling economy, I've learned more about the personal
hygiene standards of North America than I ever wanted to know - but,
being Canadian, a certain amount of low key grumbling simply means
that I'm operating smoothly). And I can't help secretly thinking
that people in team environments were born with the heart of a
seventy year old actuary and are convinced in their stolid souls
that an evening of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" qualifies as a
meaningful philosophical experience (just as, I'm sure, they think
of me as flighty and irresponsible). But, seriously, I would never
dream of telling people that my way was the only way.

Bottom line: no matter what your choice, if you enjoy yourself and
your career thrives, then you've made the right choice.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Willie was the golden boy, possessed of style and grace,
Where another man might fold his hand, he found the extra ace,
Willie he turned rotten in some secret, ugly way,
Now I look in children's faces, I see Willie."
- Garnet Rogers