RE: TW jobs-how to choose

Subject: RE: TW jobs-how to choose
From: "DeGuzman, Kathi" <Kathi -dot- Deguzman -at- Nextel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:26:40 -0500

Choosing which job to take is never easy. Only you can decide which one is
right for you. If I were you I would create a pros and cons list for each of
the companies (or a yes/no matrix where you answer the same questions for
each company). I would then think about some of the following in order to
decide:

1. Which "product line" is more interesting to you? You are going to be
writing about products and if you want to enjoy your job, it helps if you
are writing about something that is interesting.

2. Which company has the "employee fit" that you like? Have you met with
several people at each? What are they like? Sure it is hard to get a feel
from just one conversation, but maybe call one of them on the phone and chat
a bit. Try to determine if the people you are going to be working with are
easy to get along with, difficult to get along with, too talkative, too
quiet, personable, communicates well (hard one, but if you can, it is worth
it), and other traits you think your co-workers should have.

3. Determine if you want to have a mentor or if you are a person who will
take it upon yourself to move forward with the technologies
(writing/publishing related)? Do you like to work by yourself or with
others? How are you most productive? Do you think you have the
knowledge/experience to be the only writer and produce the types of
documents that are needed without someone's direction?

4. Are there other things about the company that are "icing on the cake"
that might help you decide? For example, as stupid as this may sound, I am
not interested in a company that would not let me wear casual clothes every
day. I don't mind being restricted from jeans and tennis shoes, but I NEVER
want to wear a dress, stockings, and heals!! So, if one or the other offered
that, it would be a big consideration for me.

5. What are the benefits for each company? How much do you have to
contribute for health insurance? If the 60K company makes you pay $200 per
month for insurance, your salary is basically decreased by $2400 (okay,that
doesn't include pre-tax dollars, but I am too lazy to figure out the exact
amount -- the approximation makes my point). If the other company offers
full payment for employee health, that might makea difference to you. ALso,
who are the insurance companies? What type of life insurance do they offer?
Is there a 401k or pension plan in place? What is it like? Which company
runs it? DO you get company matched dollars toward your 401k (that could
bring up your salary, if you put a large percentage of your pretax dollars
toward retirement). When are you eligible for your benefits? Do you have to
wait a month before your health insurance kicks in? What kind of vacation
and sick leave policy do they have? Alot of people don't consider benefits
when determining which job would be the best fit. I do because I think of it
as "money" to me (even if it comes in another form!)

Well, I could be here all day thinking of things to think about, but I have
to go. I have to get my kids at the bus stop (it is almost 3:30). See, my
company lets me come in after my kids go to school (I get here by 8:45 -
9:00) and leave to pick them up at 3:30 (1:00 on Mondays when they have a
half day). I just make up the time at home. GUESS WHAT?!?! That is a
bigggggg bonus for me!! Coming from a job where I telecommuted, I needed
this kind of schedule. Money had to come second...family first!!

Good luck with your decision.

Kathi Jan DeGuzman
Senior Technical Writer
Kathi -dot- Deguzman -at- nextel -dot- com <mailto:Kathi -dot- Deguzman -at- nextel -dot- com>
When I hear somebody sigh that "Life is hard," I am always tempted to ask,
"Compared to what?" ~ Sidney J. Harris
<http://www.cybernation.com/victory/quotations/authors/quotes_harris_sidneyj
.html>