Re: Troublesome Writers

Subject: Re: Troublesome Writers
From: Cathy Moore <cathy -at- proseprovider -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:36:05 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote,
---------------------
Since reading the original post in this thread, I've been trying to
formulate in my own mind how you can spot each of these types of
writer. The type becomes obvious as soon as you make a suggestion,
but how do you screen for them? If anyone has any suggestions, I'd
be glad to hear them.

One interviewer I met with had a useful approach. I had sent in writing
samples before the interview, and he had looked them over. At one point
in the interview, he pulled out one of my samples. "What would you say,"
he asked, "if I said you didn't need all this detail here?" He pointed
to a particularly cherished part of my piece.

That was a good test. If I got instantly defensive at the interview,
imagine how I would have been on the job.

Cathy