Re: Troublesome Writers

Subject: Re: Troublesome Writers
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:35:11 -0700

I suspect there will be a number of posts suggesting that you should
nurture her independence or something similar. Don't hurt her tender
feelings or damage her fragile self-esteem, kind of advice.

Funny, I haven't seen a single post like that yet. I think that management style is beginning to fade.

Independence is one thing. Ignoring stated objectives is another. Some managers make the mistake of trying to be a counsellor instead of trying to be a leader. Mentoring is fine, but sometimes (maybe often) even a mentor's job is to tell someone when they've stepped out of line. Sometimes they should convey that message gently, sometimes not.

Anyway, this doesn't sound like a position that should require a lot of mentoring. An experienced professional can learn, but they shouldn't need hand holding. What they do need are clear expectations and clear repercussions for not meeting those expectations. Employees, then, are really ridding themselves of a job when they don't follow through.

Bill Burns, Senior Technical Consultant, Scriptorium Publishing
FrameMaker ACE, WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459
http://www.scriptorium.com