FWD: About training opportunities

Subject: FWD: About training opportunities
From: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:45:00 -0700 (MST)

I'd like to ask those of you who are FTE/captive employees, either
consulting or otherwise, whether your management allows you paid time off
when you have been asked or accepted to speak at a professional
conference.

At my company, we each have one training opportunity a year. I can spend
it in town on a $500 seminar or at WinWriters for $2500, but I get just
one. In order to speak at a professional conference outside of that one
time, even while positing myself as a senior leader in my field and a
representative of my company, I must take vacation time. I was not asking
for travel or lodging, just time (yes, I know that's money). My company
sees no value to itself in its employees speaking at a conference.

I'd like to know these things:
1. How many of you get paid training at all?
2. How many of you have either a limit on number of times or money?
3. How many of you could get paid time off to speak?
4. Have you ever tried to negotiate the policy either at hiring or review
time?
5. Do you perceive a difference in policy between the technical
communicators and other groups?

Thanks for "listening" and for your input. I guess I want to know if I'm a
whiney brat who needs to grow up or have a legitimate reason to say
"What?! No way!"? Slipping back now into my Backdraft-proof skivvies.

Thanks,
Knowledgeable but stunned ...

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.