Re: Troublesome Writers

Subject: Re: Troublesome Writers
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:36:56 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote:

> So, what do you think? How do you deal with a writer who just won't frickin'
> get on the program. Who fights over edits, ignores direct orders, writes
> documents that are not needed or wanted, uses tools that aren't appropriate.

Andrew,

I can see where you might have a problem managing such a person. You
generally seem to feel as if you have all the answers. (NOTE: I did not
say you THINK you have all the answers; this is about feelings. I also
did not say that you are wrong to have those feelings; this is not an
attack on you.) And someone who is fighting you over edits, etc., is
likely someone who feels the same way. This is a scenario that is not
going to have a happy ending, so parting ways was probably a good thing.

However, to answer your question in the abstract, that is, in the
hypothetical case that the manager suffers from a different set of
neuroses than the subordinate does, I think the way to resolve the issue
is to recognize that this is someone with initiative and energy that
needs to be directed toward an actual need. Ceretainly your business is
not such a well-oiled machine that nothing can be improved about it.
Find that thing you've been putting off fixing and sic the independent
thinker on it (call it a special project). In other words, take her out
of her line function and put her into a staff function. Swallow your
urge to edit her work (because it doesn't matter if it isn't for a
client), and see how creatively she solves your problem. If it works
out, give her another special project.

And if you can't find such a project or can't justify the investment
required to address it, then say so and free her to find employment
where there's a better fit for her. She'll thank you for it. I've been
"her" and I speak from experience.

Dick