Re: The Business of Conferences

Subject: Re: The Business of Conferences
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:42:52 -0800 (PST)

In article 186 -at- client, "Michael Bryans" <michaelb -at- hummingbird -dot- com> writes:

>Perhaps there is a lack of will at the STC executive level that is
>bolstered by indifference or resignation from the membership. I do not
>see why volunteer speakers do not get a break on fees, and in some cases
>have it waived entirely.

Volunteers speakers do get a break on fees for the conference.

>How can the STC support paying keynote
>speakers, but continually rely on (abuse) the volunteerism factor. As
>we all know, a lot of members toil behind the scenes preparing,
>organizing, and supporting these conferences. They pay the full fee,
>but cannot partake in workshops whilst performing their contribution to
>the greater good of technical communications.

First of all, keynote speakers get paid because they are
*invited by the conference* to speak. Volunteer speakers
have *volunteered* to speak.

As for abusing volunteers because they can't partake in
workshops, someone is doing a poor job of scheduling if
they don't stagger the shifts of volunteers so that they
can attend some of the conference.

If a chapter wants to host a conference, they should be
doing so in full knowledge that it's going to take a lot
of volunteer work on the part of chapter members. That's
part of the deal.

Arlen brought up science fiction conventions. The cases
are not quite the same because STC conferences are part
of one's working life and for contractors, can cost a
pretty penny in hopes that it will lead to jobs or
increased skills. However, just for the heck of it, I
thought I'd point out that the world science fiction
convention draws between 5,000 - 8,000 attendees and
is run with *no* paid staff whatsoever -- no paid office
support, no local little old ladies as door guards or
registration staff, no convention center set-up
personnel, etc.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"Politics is show business for ugly people" -- James Carville