Speaking at conferences (was: The Problem with STC)

Subject: Speaking at conferences (was: The Problem with STC)
From: Sandra -dot- Downs -at- cbs -dot- fiserv -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:05:35 -0500

I'm very disappointed to hear that STC charges speakers for the privilege of speaking. In all of my experiences with conferences (writing AND technical), I've been paid my travel expenses (including airfare, meals, and lodging) and conference fees at a minimum. I've also received an honorarium, depending on the conference. I was sought out by the conference coordinators to present a workshop or two; I didn't seek them out for publicity purposes. Why shouldn't the technical writing arena be the same?

Cheers,
Sandra Downs

Technical Writer
Fiserv CBS International