Re: Establishing "street cred" in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Establishing "street cred" in FrameMaker
From: randall -dot- larson-maynard -at- powerconv -dot- alstom -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:33:52 -0800

Bill McClain

SNIP>
Next, I'd like to actually do something useful that would make a potential
employer nod and say "Yep, that's experience, all right." For you who have
input hiring decisions involving FM experience: What specific suggestions can
you make to help me overcome the bootstrap problem of getting the appropriate
experience?
SNIP>

Sit down and write a project for yourself using Frame. Do the research, write it
in chapters, set-up and use the book features, set-up a TOC and a basic index,
use cross-refs, and some variables, use a few tables, set-up at least 3
additional master pages (beside the default right and left) and apply them
throughout, get to know the paragraph, character and table designers, use
paragraph numbering.

If you could sit down and show me that you did all that on your own, I would
know you understand the basics of Frame and I could easily train you in the rest
of Frame. I would also know you had the drive to work it out yourself and I
would get an idea of how you handle a project on your own. Those two would mean
more to me than if you knew Frame inside-out.

Randall Larson-Maynard
Technical Writer
Alstom Schilling Robotics
Davis, CA, USA
randall -dot- larson-maynard -at- powerconv -dot- alstom -dot- com
http://www.schilling.com