Establishing "street cred" in FrameMaker

Subject: Establishing "street cred" in FrameMaker
From: BMcClain -at- centura -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:45:53 -0500

A related thread about resume honesty got me wondering. Recently, I put
myself out of the running for a job opening when I revealed that I had
"played" with FrameMaker but hadn't used it in a production environment, so
I wasn't sure if that qualified as "experience." Maybe I inadvertently
transmitted doubt in my abilities, but I wanted to be clear about what I had
and hadn't done.

At one shop where I'd worked, I'd evaluated FrameMaker and recommended it as
a replacement for PageMaker. Now, I've purchased O'Keeffe's /For Dummies/
book and am going through it with FM. And I'm subscribing to the Framers'
list as of this morning.

Next, I'd like to actually do something useful that would make a potential
employer nod and say "Yep, that's experience, all right." For you who have
input hiring decisions involving FM experience: What specific suggestions
can you make to help me overcome the bootstrap problem of getting the
appropriate experience?

Bill McClain
"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."
-Warning label on my son's Batman costume