Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:36:12 -0800 (PST)

In article ORG -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org ("Tracy Boyington") writes:
>I think you missed Dick's point... it sounds to me like he's intentionally =
>using his background as a screening device. If someone doesn't want to =
>hire him because of his antiwar history, he wouldn't want to work for them =
>anyway, so by putting it up front everyone is happy.
>
>But I agree that if your religious/political/other hot button activities =
>aren't a dealbreaker, they should stay off your resume.

A related discussion recently came up on a religious topics
group to which I post. I am religiously observant and
both need to leave work early on Fridays in the winter
and take Jewish holidays off. Some people said they
generally wait until after they get the job to bring
this up; I always bring it up during the final interview
because if it's the type of company that's going to have
a problem with this, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable
working there, whether or not they ultimately allowed me
to make up the time off that I need.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html