Re: What is our real area of expertise?

Subject: Re: What is our real area of expertise?
From: "Herman Holtz" <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:06:12 -0500

Only you can explain you and what you do with any great accuracy. When I
was one of of many working at a desk in a great bull pen of techies working
at desks, I wrote technical manuals out of my ability to analyze circuits,
point to point, from input to output. Still, even then there were many tech
writers whose technical knowledge was not quite up to that challenge, and
they were assigned tech writing jobs that did not require tht deep a
knowl,edge of the technologies involved. It would have been a mistake to
generalize then, and it is probably a mistake to do so today. The challenge
for a manager was mostly to fit the tech writer to the right job and thereby
get the job done. Perhaps it still is, and maybe that
is not widely recognized. There are probably many tech writing profiles
necessary to cover the field, and there is probably no single one that will
satisfy all needs for definitions or job descripions of tech writers or
serve as a defining qualification for all tech writers. Isn't that the case
with writers, engineers, designers, and others, leading us to the necessity
for Engineer #1,Engineer #2, etc or Junior Writer, Journeyman Writer, Senior
Writer, etc? - Herm