RE: conference fees

Subject: RE: conference fees
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:58:49 -0500

I can't speak for the Society as a whole, but having had a long involvement
with the local STC conference (and a national for profit conference
organization as well), I can explain some of that rationale. Maybe it's
connected ...

One of the things you'll notice about STC conferences is that they cost
about half of what the for profit conferences do. They don't make a ton of
money, and they're not supposed to. They rely a huge amount on volunteers,
and the idea is to provide a low-cost, broad-based conference for all levels
and interests of technical writers. Here in Boston, our local InterChamge
conference is 2 full days and costs less than $300. Compare that to
WinWriters which, while a day longer, costs 4 times as much. WinWriters pays
their presenters, InterChange does not.

Believe me, I am not advocating for charging the speakers - as a matter of
fact, I was known for challenging that practice just about every year. But
each time the argument was that we are a non-profit, we have about 30
speakers and 250 attendees - can we really afford to let 10 - 15% of the
people in for free (let alone paying them)?

All of the arguments here were discussed - bolstering one's resume,
initiating contacts, etc. - and we opted to charge speakers a reduced rate
(usually about 2/3 of the cost for attendees). Any speaker who wanted to,
however, was free to come, speak, and leave without paying. If they chose to
participate in the rest of the conference, though, we asked them to pay the
reduced rate. Did it affect the quality of speakers? Not really - we get
some great ones, but then we have a large pool of qualified locals to draw
from.

I have also been on the other side of the fence as one of the principals of
Help University (RIP). We were among the first conferences to pay presenters
(even air fare to one of our first conferences!). The speaker cost is huge,
especially when you consider that not only do you take away income, but pay
additional funds.

So, the choice is yours - attend your local low-cost alternative for very
little money, or blow a huge wad going to a non-STC event.

I believe that both have their place.

That's my 2 ¢,

John

John Garison