Re: The Problem with STC

Subject: Re: The Problem with STC
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 20:24:11 -0800 (PST)

--- Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> I find STC very "old school" tech pubs. They are
> centered on this notion of the
> big, hierarchical tech pubs department.

The mentality's been changing lately, but I do agree
that a majority of the articles in the STC pubs are
geared toward big pub departments.

> I am also really pissed at STC because of this
> seminar last year. They asked me
> to speak at some convention. I agreed and developed

> a presentation on
> independent contracting. When I showed up at the
> seminar - I was required to
> PAY to get into the seminar.

That's just plain wrong. I hope you walked away
without presenting.

> I think they are really more of a
> social club than a professional club.

Never thought about it before, but it does seem that
way... Sure, you have trade publications, but at least
in my area activity is low. We have meetings every
once in a while, but none were overly informative.
They are more of a social gathering with a topical
epicenter. But who knows... that could all change.
I've only been a member for about a year...

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
PowerAdz.com