Re: The Problem with STC

Subject: Re: The Problem with STC
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:14:58 +1100

Andrew Plato listed several reasons why he felt STC was
not giving him good value, including this one:

> My other big complaint with STC is their complete lack
> of technical knowledge. They sponsor big meetings on
> how to map information and develop a documentation
> plan - but have you ever see an STC sponsored event
> on systems networking, object oriented programming,
> scientific writing?

I am neutral on the question of whether STC membership
is worth having or not. I gave up my own membership some
years ago.

Perhaps Mr Plato could explain briefly why he thinks STC
should sponsor events on object-oriented programming,
and whether he also thinks it essential that a professional
organization for OO programmers should sponsor events
in publication design and production.

My own finding after thirty years in IT and technical
communications (twenty of them in the US) is that in
this industry, communications skills are far rarer and
far harder to acquire than programming skills.

--
Michael West
Technical Writer