Re: To STC or not to STC ? That is the question!

Subject: Re: To STC or not to STC ? That is the question!
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:52:37 -0800

"Hart, Geoff" wrote:

> The value of joining is directly proportional to the work you put into
> participating, and inversely proportional to how good you are at networking
> and learning and making your way on your own.

My business partner and I are at points in our professional lives where it
doesn't make sense for us to invest the money (and more importantly, time) in
attending local STC events or paying for membership. Our experience has been
that the programs are not of particular interest to us, and in fact we're senior
enough that we wind up being source people. If other senior people who were
doing things that are interesting to us were in attendance, that *might* raise
the value level for us, but for the most part we're usually the most experienced
people in the audience. As I've pointed out before, it can be a little
gratifying to the ego to have newbies clustered around your table, hanging on
your every word, but after a while you get tired of giving without getting
anything back.

Our experience has been that we get more value from non-technical writing
conferences and professional groups - such as the monthly meetings of BayCHI,
the Bay Area Computer-Human Interface SIG of the ACM. The subject is interfaces
and the exchange of information between computers and humans, the speakers are
known experts in the field, and the meetings frequently pack the auditorium.
And they're free (although BayCHI always encourages people to join, and they
have other benes that make membership worth while).

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems