lead time? what lead time

Subject: lead time? what lead time
From: "Cayenne Woods" <cwoods -at- purplevoice -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 12:27:40 +0000

(hope this isn't a repeat - Lotus mail!!£"$%^)

On this project I've worked with zero specs - as have the developers. Until
early last week, people were still adding/changing/designing the software, with
no prior plan. And the release is next week, with considerable changes still
happening last week. Hopefully this won't happen again, but at least I've
figured out that I'm working semi-miracles, and it shouldn't be this way. I've
got two main Help files and two small ones, and a 50-page admin guide that have
had to be rewritten in two weeks, on my own. We're small, and building for
existing and potential customers rather than releasing to the public at the
moment, but this is still quite a lot.

Also, after asking for feedback since early November and not getting even a
reply, a new project manager has kicked everyone into gear to review the docs.
However, they received absolutely no guidelines on what I'd like to hear, and
now have sent _lots_ of feedback. I should get over the opinions on colors,
fonts, capitalisation, etc, but it's irritating. The big problem is there's way
too much detail for this stage - and even though I'd ignore half the
"suggestions" and many are simply wrong, it's a big chunk of both their and my
time that is not best-used at this point.

How do people deal with setting some parameters for different levels of docs
review, and how can I put this semi-delicately??
thanks for suggestions!
Cayenne

This communication contains information which is confidential
and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s). Please note that any distribution, copying
or use of this communication, or the information in it, is strictly
please notify us by email or by telephone (+44 20 8848 6644)
and then delete the email and any copies of it.

This communication is from Purple Voice Ltd., whose principal
office is at Dawley Road, Hayes, Middlesex, England.

checked for the presence of computer viruses.