RE: Lead time between code freeze and release

Subject: RE: Lead time between code freeze and release
From: Pam Mandel <pmandel -at- nimble -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:06:53 -0800

From: Tom Murrell
This may seem like a trivial question, but have you developed any idea
of how much time you need between code freeze and software release?

--- Cindy Hudson
> We're trying to turn this around to update all the manuals with each
> new release. Currently, our lead time from code freeze to release is
> anywhere from 4 hours to one week.

Cindy, do your folks not fully test each release?

Since we're V1, we haven't the faintest idea how much time we need. My
current thinking is that we'll hitch our wagon to test - they get about six
weeks between code freeze and release at each milestone, with an additional
week or two at the final RTM (release to manufacturing). It also seems that
we may have to whack our docs testing and any illusions we had about
tutorials and quick start guides in order to be done at that time. As an
aside, I'm pondering what types of baked good I can ply the test team with
in order for them to be the ones that say - "we haven't finished testing
online help yet, we can't ship..." Ha.

BTW, all the responses to my content complete question have really helped me
gain perspective on my project. Thanks for all the good advice.

Pam