RE: Information Mapping

Subject: RE: Information Mapping
From: "McAward, Jim [S&FS]" <Jim_McAward -at- Ademco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 15:40:06 -0500

After having put all the writers, and myself, through the official multi-day
Information Mapping course, I'll vouch for it as a good set of analytical
tools to have in your pack; the tools help you focus on your message and
communicate it clearly.

However, the stock InfoMapping formatting always increases the page count...
white space and black lines are nice but not free, and in my current gig,
this is a Very Bad Thing. Fortunately the instructor (one of their
paladins, but not a zealot) could see my problem. Therefore, we embrace the
techniques but not the formatting. (As an example: applying the official
Info-Mapping formatting on one of our higher volume books would've pushed
the page count from 96 to 122 pages... resulting in an annual cost savings
of minus $530,000. If I info-mapped everything else in the stable... I'd
be sweeping stables myself ;-)

But now we're back to the cost of printed documentation, and we already had
that debate!

Have a great day,

Jim McAward
Director of Technical Publications