RE: Information Mapping

Subject: RE: Information Mapping
From: "Susan Ahrenhold" <sahrenhold -at- winspc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 15:03:55 -0500

bryan -dot- westbroo -at- amd -dot- com said:

>>If you know how to organize data and use tables, bullets, and whitespace;
>>you know how to map information.

Actually, the tables, bullets, and white space are only formatting
conventions that represent the logical structure that underlies any good
tech writing, which both Information Mapping and the DocBook DTD (in all its
big, ugly glory) have codified.

I actually liked "Common Sense 101", which is how some people I know
describe Info Mapping, but the reason that I posted this is that I have a
pet bugaboo, which also gets triggered when my engineers hand-tweek each
paragraph so that it looks like a style sheet has been used:

Let's not confuse formatting with structure, folks.

We could come up with a completely new structure, do ordered lists in Greek
and non-ordered lists in Russian, without numbers or bullets, and the
structures would still be the same.