RE: Passing the Flame

Subject: RE: Passing the Flame
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 12:57:20 -0500

I wanted to second John's wise advice:

> <snip> Something I find quite useful where
> there is a lot of legacy doc is some historical perspective of
> how things got the way they were, as in the following scenario.
<end snip . . . but it's a funny scenario! Go read it if you missed it . .
. >

Having something like this would have been so helpful at my current job! Not
long after I started here, I was given some legacy documentation to update.
Not knowing it's history, I criticized the old documentation in a meeting,
pointing out some things that I thought really needed improvement. Lo and
behold, the owner of the company (who of course was in the meeting) had
written it long ago, because this was our company's first big product.

Needless to say, I felt about two inches tall, especially because the owner
is such a nice guy. That probably explains why I didn't get fired; six years
later, I'm still here, older and wiser. A history of the docs would have
been VERY helpful!

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer