re: Tools of the Trade

Subject: re: Tools of the Trade
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:11:50 -0700

Robert Daffin succinctly writes ...

"Microsoft Word is a word processor, and as such, is one of the best word
processors available. ... Unfortunately, there is a perception out these
[there] that Word is a good tool for generating long technical documents.
... The target market for Word is the inexperienced user ... The target
market for Frame is the experienced user... ."

This is all well and good and is repetitive of much that has been written
here many times before and which will likely and unfortunately be repeated
again and again. And I agree with it, but I'm tired of hearing about it and
suggest that the membership of this list is professional enough (and
experienced enough) to be able to make its own decisions.

I might also add a "famous-last-words" caveat. Remember when the IBM PC
first came out? It was the "computer for inexperienced users," wasn't it?
They used it anyway and it worked for them and the product evolved rather
significantly, wouldn't you agree? The mass market generally rejects
complexity, and more importantly, so do the truly technical.

Also, what's the deal with long documents? Maybe that should be the next
poll question. And why is it always format-for-print? Given the power of
the Internet and intranets and hypertext linking, it seems some sort of HTML
generator should enter the WORD/FRAME/your favorite debate as well.
Everything one can read about how to do the web right says "keep it short."
Where I, at least, see technical writing going is not formatting for
printing but web page creation. There's plenty of technical content and use
of tools and need for professionals, just not page numbering and headers and
footers.