Re: The cost of producing printed documentation

Subject: Re: The cost of producing printed documentation
From: Ward Rosenberry <wardr -at- world -dot- std -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:57:11 -0500 (EST)

This discussion gets to the heart of estimating a project. Something
few writers these days do.

Donn La Vie's reply suggests the $300-$400/page statement from my
earlier response is too low. An average $45-$55/hour for writing time
puts the writing labor alone in the 300-400 range. Now add engineering
review time and printing expenses and the cost goes up.

If you fine tune calculations for your project, add development time
for very complicated/complex technical information where research and
digging is needed; The metric I use for "very technical" is .5 pages
per day and 2-4 pages/day for simple information and procedures. Of
course a manual will contain a mix of complex and simple so you have
to do research up front to determine page count and complexity as
possible.

-------