RE: clarification needed

Subject: RE: clarification needed
From: "Thomas Quine" <quinet -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 21:16:42 -0800

You are all right that the plural of an acronym should be "s" and not
apostrophe "s". However there are exceptions to this rule.
Where there is a possibility of confusion, you should add the apostrophe, as
in MES's. Otherwise you might make a MESs. SOS's is the most common example
of the use of apostrophe "s" for the plural of an acronym.
William Safire says that if an acronym sounds like it ends with "esses",
spell it with apostrophe s.
Other examples are when lower case letters are used as nouns, as in "I
failed calculus, because I couldn't tell the x's from the y's."
- Thom
www.documen.com