RE: List Lurkers (Added Value)

Subject: RE: List Lurkers (Added Value)
From: Richard Smith <rsmith -at- rapidlogic -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 12:59:26 -0800

TSilvergirl wrote:
>Given the fact that I'm a student, I think it would be inappropriate to
make
a habit of posting to the list; I'm lurking to learn. Once I am in a
position to post something of use to the majority of the list members, I
will
happily do so. In the meantime, I'm just grateful for the opportunity to
sift through the contents of more educated minds.>

My response, which applies to anyone:
Not so! Unless you are a newborn, you probably have tons of knowledge that
might be useful to people on the list. I recently saw an instructor looking
for ideas for developing a TW curriculum. Who better than a student in or
recently through such a program to provide insight and feedback. Being the
customer of such a product, you can give useful feedback. You may not be in
position to give expert advice, but you are still a worthwhile contributor.

The power of the list is in providing lots of varied on-topic information.
None of it needs to be useful to everyone (or even most) on the list. We can
all read what interests us and can the rest.

Lurk to learn the basic etiquette of the group, not because you think you
don't provide value. You probably can contribute more than you realize.
Besides, being a student never really ends for a TW.

Richard Smith