Re: table of contents

Subject: Re: table of contents
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:02:20 -0800

Mike wrote:

> MoS claims that "Table of Contents" is a term that
> should be avoided in documentation, which, I'll have
> to admit, is the first time I've ever heard that.
> I've always been of the assumption that "Table of
> Contents" is standard terminology.
>
> That aside, I'd like some input as to what you think
> constitutes an effective TOC. I generally include
> primary sections and chapters, as well as figures.
> Question is, when do you recognize that your TOC
> includes too many items?
>
> Any input would be appreciated.....
>
> Regards,
> Mike

Usually, MoS is reasonably sensible, but I don't get its logic here.
Unless it suggests simply "Contents?"

As for the contents, I like to put tables and figures into separate
lists so that they're easier to find. I also making a habit of
naming them differently from headings and sections. For example, on
my current project, my headings and sections generally start in a
participle (Understanding Widgets, Setting Up Widgets), while my
tables are unnumbered noun phrases (The ls Command) and figures are
numbered noun phrases.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"But the place that draws me ever when my fancy's running wild
Is a little pub in Oxford called The Eagle and the Child..."
-Diana Paxson, traditional ending for Mythopoeic Conferences