RE: Word up

Subject: RE: Word up
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:33:02 -0800 (PST)

"Emru Townsend" wrote....

> How about when you know it's not the best tool for the job, but you there
> are inherent limitations in the software... and your boss doesn't want you
> to use another tool? I'm reminded of my first two TW jobs where I made
> reasonably detailed arguments as to why certain tools/methods weren't the
> best choice because _the tools themselves_ didn't allow for us to do what we
> wanted. I was overruled anyway.

This is pretty common. Keep in mind that there may be numerous,
non-documentation related factors to such a decision. One of the most powerful
and persuasive arguments to use a tool like Word is that virtually anybody can
use it. The ubiquity and simplicity of Word make it a preferred choice for
managers and engineers, who don't care if it has the most ultra refined
production tools.

Buying into new technologies means time, money, and training. Some companies
simply do not want their technical pubs to become an ultra-specialized group
with their own set of unique rules and tools. Now, that might not be the best
way to run a company, but there are plenty of profitable, successful firms who
work like this.

> Regardless of his level of expertise, if you hand a carpenter a screwdriver
> to drive a five-inch nail into a block of wood, he can't do his job
> properly. Andrew, is it so hard to concede this point?

Its just not that simple. Again you are operating on the assumption that Word
or other tools are fundamentally flawed and cannot provide even the basic
functions. That is not true. They just don't work in the way you want them to.
I have seen great docs written in Word, FrameMaker, heck even on typewriters.
There is no 1:1 correlation between tool and quality.

So the notion that somehow this set of tools is more "proper" to use over that
set - is absurd. It is really just a matter of personal preference and comfort.

Sure, some tools have more bells and whistles. And some tools can do things
easier than others. That's just mechanics. I think you, and others, are
confusing the notion of expertise and product loyalty with real value. If you
are an expert in X tool, then obviously you are going to feel that tool is more
valuable. But that does not mean that tool is more valuable for everybody and
every company.

Andrew Plato

http://shopping.yahoo.com/